Institutional Building Programme – Centre – Invest Bank – Russia
Under EBRD’s framework to cover a broad range of banking skills, focusing on strategy development, lending processes, corporate governance, risk management and internal control, treasury operations, management information systems (MIS) and organisational efficiency, we were engaged to support a Russian mid-sized regional bank in the three main areas: Risk Management, Internal Audit and Information Technology.
Our tasks with Center – Invest Bank were to:
- To ensure that appropriate institutional foundations are in place so that the bank can expand its regional reach and become a universal bank of first choice.
- To strengthen and further develop the Bank’s risk management, specially credit risk and market risks, internal audit and compliance.
Trade Finance Advisory – European Bank for Resconstruction and Development
The overall objective of the assignment was to provide trade finance consultancy services to be tailored to the individual needs of banks in Russia to support them in building up or improving their trade finance services. The consultant was engaged to assist 5 banks in Russia while being based in the region and spending some time with each bank before moving on to the next one.
The main scope of services provided under this Assignment were:
- providing staff with skills to improve the quality of trade finance products offered by the banks;
- explaining and demonstrating different trade finance products and structures to enable the banks to enlarge their product range;
- enabling the banks to offer advice to their clients on how to best structure a trade finance transaction;
- teaching banks how to identify risks involved and how to mitigate them;
- helping the banks to identify new business opportunities and new clients to increase the volume of international trade finance operations;
- improving procedures and processes in relation to the handling of trade finance operations, including marketing and risk management.
Diagnostic Review – JSB Orgresbank (Now is OJSC Nordea Bank)
IGA (now FACS) performed a detailed scan over the key operational parts of the bank, which are Marketing and Products, Risk Management, Business Strategy, Human Resources Management, Financial Management and Operation. After the scan, a final report was prepared with detail findings and recommendations.
Credit Strengthening and Institutional Strengthening – SKB Bank
Project’s aiming was to contribute to the development of medium-sized banks that have the ability to enlarge and improve the range and quality of banking services in the regions of Russia Russia’s banking system, but they frequently require institutional strengthening to support EBRD’s objective of providing on-lending funds and/or making equity investments. Under EBRD’s framework to cover a broad range of banking skills, focusing on strategy development, lending processes, corporate governance, risk management and internal control, and organizational efficiency, we were engaged to support a Russian mid-sized regional bank in the three main areas: Risk Management, Credit Procedures and Internal Control.
Our experts ensured that appropriate institutional foundations are in place to enable SKB Bank to grow and achieve its business objectives; develop and strengthen the Bank’s Risk Management function, credit risk related to lending operations to SME and individuals, risks related to the treasury activities, internal audit and compliance. Our experts were reviewing credit procedures, clients portfolio, management structure, management information systems , separating front and back offices, streamlining approval procedures, provisioning and credit risk pricing policies and propose changes, if required.
Institutional and Credit Strengthening – Bank Kazanskiy
Under EBRD’s framework to cover a broad range of banking skills, focusing on strategy development, lending processes, corporate governance and organisation, risk management and internal control, we were engaged to support a Russian mid-sized regional bank in the three main areas: Startegy and Organisation, Risk Management and Internal Audit.
Our tasks with Bank Kazanskiy were to:
Ensure that appropriate institutional foundations are put in place to enable Bank Kazanskiy to grow and achieve its business objectives. This primarily include evaluation and improvement strategic planning procedures and organisational structure of Bank Kazanskiy.
Strengthen and develop key operational areas within Bank Kazanskiy, paying particular attention to the application of the principles of good corporate governance and risk management.
Anti-Money Laundering (AML) – A Commercial Bank
Financial Access was retained by the bank to design and implement the AML and Know-Your-Clients (KYC) systems. Our works within the project were to:
- Review the Bank’s Compliance rules and procedures, available in written form such as manual, memo’s, etc.
- Observe the implementation of these rules and procedures in the daily activities of the Bank’s management and staff.
- Observe the implementation of international ‘know-your-customer’ and customer due diligence rules.
- Benchmark the existing procedures against the International Best Practice:
Management Training – ImpexBank
We were retained by Impexbank to deliver tailored management training courses f. The training topics were:
- Overview of bank-to-corporate products
- Business Concept of Retail banking (special stress on retail loans)
- Private Banking
- Workshop and discussions on the ING management accounting systems
- Discussion on Human Resources Policies
- Discussions on Operations and IT (Giro system, etc.),
- Workshop and discussions on Business solutions for increasing efficiency, focused on balanced scorecard
- Database Marketing (Knowledge Management) and CRM
- Risk Management (General)
- Credit Risk Rating Models
- Workshop and discussion on the credit risk rating models (what can be applicable to Russia)
- Call Centers as distribution and service channel
- Visits to various branches to introduce sales concepts
Postal Banking Pilot Project in Moscow and Chelyabinsk – Senter
To launch the modernization of the Russian Post to international standards, a priority was given to the development of postal banking services to improve the economic performance and to attract external investments. The pilots aimed at completing the modernisation of the financial services through the post offices in Moscow and Chelyabinsk. The programme featured a comprehensive approach including phased implementation. The project involved approximately 1300 post offices, which participated in cash management and the delivery of basic financial services. At selected post offices, 150 EFT POS terminals and ATMs were implemented for card payments.
The project included market research, set-up of the counterpart project structure, training, technical business process design, cash and liquidity management, marketing and on-site management, as well as business planning for the set-up of a Federal Postbank and preparation/arrangement of finance/investments.
Our tasks were :
- To elaborate a Postal Banking Action Plan in order to support the development of the system of modern financial services provided through the post offices.
- To complete a pilot for cash management, modern payments technology and other basic financial services through the post offices network in Moscow and Chelyabinsk.
- ‘Blueprints’ for the national roll-out of these postal financial services and its required technology will become available